Welcome to our phonics page where there are lots of resources and information to help support your child through this very important stage of learning.
At St Blaise we use the Rocket Phonics programme.
Rocket Phonics is a systematic synthetic phonics programme that has been written by phonics experts. It includes a combination of digital and printed resources, and two fully matched series of decodable reading books. The reading books we use have been carefully designed to appeal to the tastes and interests of children who are starting out on their reading journey. They include a variety of fiction and non-fiction, and have been carefully devised to provide practice and application of phonics knowledge and skills in full alignment with the classroom lessons.
- Phonics is taught for a minimum of 30 daily.
- All staff are supported with regulat phonics professional development training.
- A clear pathway is followed through the alphabetic code.
- Children are not asked to read texts by themselves that they can’t yet decode.
- The teaching and learning cycle (revisit, review, teach, practise and apply) is followed.
- Phonics is taught at a letter-sound, word, sentences and text level.
- Teachers focus on details, such as accurate modelling and pencil hold.
When learning to read the children are encouraged to pronounce letters in a slightly different way. This is called ‘precise pronunciation’ or ‘pure sounds’.
Some family members may find they are not sure about this new pronunciation as they were not taught this way when they learned to read.
It is really important for children that we all learn this new way as it will help them with their reading.
Please click on the links below to go to a Rocket Phonics YouTube video telling you how to pronounce letters in the way that your child learns them at school.
Rocket Phonics – The English Alphabetic Code
A guide for parents, carers and families
This short video for parents, carers and families explains what the English alphabetic code is and how we teach it through the Rocket Phonics SSP programme.