Legislation -The National Curriculum Framework for Key Stages 1 & 2- says
As a state-funded school we must offer a curriculum which is balanced and broadly based and which:
- promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils at the school and of society, and
- prepares pupils at the school for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life.
Also, we are required to make provision for a daily act of collective worship and must teach religious education to pupils. Parents should note they have the right to withdraw their children from both RE and collective worship, we advise that you come and talk to us, before making any decision.
For pupils of primary age, it is the governor’s responsibility to decide whether or not to teach sex and relationship education. At St Blaise, we believe pupils benefit from exploring issues relating to sex and relationships early on; for more information, please see our policy.
We are legally required to follow the national curriculum, which sets out programmes of study and subject content for the core subjects of English, mathematics and science. And the foundation subjects: art & design, computing, design & technology, geography, history, music, physical education, and a Language at Key Stage 2. The content of the National Curriculum was revised in 2013 and came into effect in 2014.
Additionally, all schools are required to make provision for personal, social, health and economic education (PSHE). Schools are free to include other subjects or topics of their choice in planning and designing their own programme of education.
So what does this mean for us at St Blaise?
We plan our coverage of the national curriculum through a topic approach. As parents you will have seen the topic webs that are available for each class at the beginning of every term. By linking much of the curriculum in this way, we aim to make the curriculum meaningful, interesting and exciting for our pupils. And judging by the feedback the pupils give us at the end of topics, we achieve these aims.
For the current term’s curriculum go to the class tabs and click on the Topic Web.
Running along each theme there is core work: in reading, phonics, spelling, punctuation and grammar; maths, PE, RE and PSHE.
For more information on how we teach phonics How we teach phonics at St Blaise
For more information on long term plans for each class, schemes of work and policies please follow the links below.
From time to time we run curriculum evenings and events, so watch out for these and please do come along to find out more.
Leaflets to help you support your child in their learning:
Note: SPAG = Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
- Helping Your Child with Reading
- KS1 SPAG Support Leaflet
- LKS2 SPAG Support Leaflet
- UKS2 SPAG Support Leaflet
- Parent guide to supporting your child with spelling
Additionally the following Policies are available on the School Policies & Procedures Page.
- Calculation Policy (Maths)
- Drug Education Policy
- Early Years Policy
- IT Policy (computers)
- Learning and Teaching Policy
- Presentation Policy which includes information about handwriting.
- PSHE Policy
- RE Policy
- Relationships and Sex Education Policy
- SEND Policy
- SMSC Policy which outlines the links made across the curriculum to support children’s social, moral, spiritual and cultural development.
Individual Class Long Term Plans
- Oak Long Term Plan – September 2021
- Poplar Long Term Plan – September 2021
- Beech Long Term Plan – September 2021
- Maple Long Term Plan – September 2021
Schemes of Work
- Art scheme of work Sep 2021
- Computing scheme of work Sep 2021
- Design and Technology scheme of work Sep 2021
- English Intent, Implementation and Impact Statement – Sep 2021
- Progression in Speaking and Listening leading to writing – Sep 2021
- English Scheme of Work Year 1 – Sept 2021
- English Scheme of Work Year 2 – Sept 2021
- English Scheme of Work Year 3 – Sept 2021
- English Scheme of Work Year 4 – Sept 2021
- English Scheme of Work Year 5/6 – Sept 2021
- Geography scheme of work Sep 2021
- History scheme of work Sep 2021
- MFL scheme of work – Sep 2021
- Music scheme of work Sep 2021
- PE scheme of work Sep 2021
- PSHE scheme of work -September 2021
- RSE scheme of work from – sex education element Sep 2021
- RE Scheme of work – Sept 2021
- Science scheme of work – September 2021
- Primary Science Quality Mark – Gilt Award – July 2022