This term we have been finding out Saints. We have considered what makes a person saintly, do you have to be a martyr to be a saint and how the lives of saints can influence us.
We have found out about a range of apostle saints, patron saints and modern saints.
This week we had a debate – Should Jesus be a saint?
At the start of the debate: 10 agree, 7 disagree
The teams researched their material and prepared their arguments. They decided how their team would operate.
Reasons why Jesus should be a saint –
- He died for us
- He acted like a saint and lived a good life
- He fought for what he believed in
- He told people about God
- He was not a Christian, but he believed in God
- He prepared himself for death and died for his religion
- He helped everyone, he celebrated how unique people were and loved everyone
Reasons why Jesus should not be a saint
- Saints believe in God and Jesus is God
- Jesus was above this
- Jesus was a Jew
- Jesus was the reason why saints were created
- Every website says that he was not
Following the opening statements there was a time for questions before people closed their arguments.
The final vote:
11 agreed and 6 disagree